I was bullied all through puberty. It was the hardest time of my life. My children are just now going through puberty. Wow! Talk about moodiness! My kids are starting to get acne. I can see how much it is bothering them.
I have battled acne my entire life. Kids bullied me for many years and made fun of me. It was devastating.
I thought in my thirties, it would be over. I was wrong. This week I have battled acne like crazy. Everything and anything will cause me to get a zit. It is frustrating. I remember I received my first visit from the acne fairy at age 12. My face was covered with zits by age 13, and always oily. I was bullied and picked on until high school. I figured out how to cover up the pimples with make-up during high school. Thankfully, the terrible acne did not leave scars on my face. However, zits gave me a visit all through my twenties. My face completely cleared up in my thirties. It is wonderful!
The old pimple rival popped up again last week. I get really stressed when I get acne. Do you? I think the stress causes more acne! So, it is like a horrible conundrum. I switched make-up last week to a cheaper brand, so this is my punishment. During acne’s 20 year reign in my life, I have learned the things that cause acne and prevent pimples.
Here are the items that break me out in mountains of unwanted pimples:
- Coffee Creamer
- Cheap Make-up
- Any lotion except Oil of Olay
- Sunscreen of any kind (in make-up and in lotions)
- Heat (I have to put ice cold water on my face after a shower)
- French Fries
- Chinese Food (no idea why)
- Certain Vitamns
- Certain Medications
A few tricks to defend against the enemy:
- Salmon Oil (vitamins) prevent acne (inflammation)
- Eating Salmon or Tuna
- Aspirin (stops the inflammation) I take baby Aspirin
- Splash ice cold water on your face in the am and pm
- Sunscreen causes me severe acne
- Vitamin D3 is an acne deterrent
- Do not “pop” the pimples (can cause severe scars)
Acne is an inflammatory response. I try to be vigilant about not eating, drinking or taking any vitamins that cause inflammation in the body. There are several books written about inflammation. Inflammation in the body is the cause for acne.
Acne is a huge pain in the rear. If you are a young person who has severe acne, I know exactly how you feel. I never wanted to go to school. In fact, I tried to get out of school most days. Everyone always told me to “pop” the pimples. Thank Goodness I did not listen. I see adults who have severe acne scarring from “popping” pimples during their puberty years.
I hope this helps you in some way. May the force be with you!
If you have children going through puberty, I feel your pain!
- Teen Acne: How to Treat It (teens.webmd.com)
- Teen Acne Solutions (webmd.com)
- How Does Laser For Acne Scars Work (antiaginginfotips.wordpress.com)
- When adults have acne… (ebeautyspot.wordpress.com)
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (projectbeautydiary.wordpress.com)
- Treatment for Scarring.. (simonrosenbaum.wordpress.com)
- Fight for zero-acne skin (healthykeepfit.wordpress.com)
- Types of Acne Facial Scars and How to Treat Them (antiaginginfotips.wordpress.com)
- #AtoZ : Zits (joycelansky.blogspot.com)